Christmas is Coming! It's Time to Decorate...

With the holidays quickly approaching, I've noticed lots of google searching for Razorback Christmas items have landed people on my art blog.  From experience, I can tell you that searching for Razorback Hog Christmas ornaments can be a real let-down.

Several years ago, I decided to decorate my husband's "man space" into a Razorback Haven.  I started filling every wall with Razorback memorabilia and even painted some of my own Razorback Art.  When the holidays began to near, I decided I was going to decorate a Christmas tree -- Arkansas Razorback Hog Style.  So, I began searching for Hog Ornaments and decorations.  Much to my dismay, with each search I seemed to find little variety.  Every Hog ornament or decoration had the Razorback logo on it.  I understand the value and need for branding your logo, but seeing it over and over and over ...how boring!  I'm not sure why the University doesn't make any creative and different styled ornaments and I'm not sure why there doesn't seem to be any other business doing it.  (If someone does have a logical answer, I'd love to hear it.)




So, with no other alternative, I decided to make my own ornaments.  I've been searching through lots of pictures, and thought for sure I had at least one photo of the lighted, decorated tree, but am not having any luck finding it.  I did, however, run into some pictures of some of the ornaments I made.  I thought I'd post these photos to encourage anyone out there who may be looking for ornaments (and not finding any).  I'd encourage you to make your own.  You don't have to be a talented artist to use some craft paint or acrylic paint markers.  If you can "color inside the lines" then you can do it yourself.


Most of the supplies I picked up at Hobby Lobby.  The glass ornaments were clear--all I did was paint on them and then stuff them with different kinds of fabric, yarn, fake snow, or confetti-ish stuff.  :0).

Here is an ornament made from a very inexpensive package of wooden stars I bought at Wal-mart.  I used a wood burner on them and then painted them.  Then, I put them all together with floral wire and hot glue.


This is another very inexpensive glass ornament painted with craft paint and markers, stuffed, and a black bow added.


The same for this Razorback Snowman--I had never seen anyone make a red, Razorback snowman before, but I saw the clear snowman ornaments, and thought "why not?"


I had several of these on the tree.  I had so many of these little red balls from Christmases past and decided to add some whimsy.  I took acrylic paint markers (again, from Hobby Lobby or Wal-mart) and painted dots, swirls, and lines.  Before the paint dried, I added white glitter to them.  So easy.


I also used lots of beads (not pictured) by putting them on wire--all red, black, white, and silver.  Plus, I had clear glass ornaments in different sizes that I stuffed with ribbon, snow, beads, yarn--not traditional yarn but funky "hairy" yarn.  Then topped with red or black ribbon.

I hope this little post has somehow inspired you to get your decorations out of the closet or storage and maybe even to venture down the isles of Hobby Lobby to see what you might like to create yourself--even if it has nothing to do with a Razorback tree.

Thanks for letting me share a little of my world...





2 comments:

  1. I came across your post when google-ing "razorback ornaments". I found some really cute ones at a store this weekend but want to do an entire tree in hog gear. I love this post and I am a terrible artist but I think I might just try this out and see how they turn out. I'd love to see a photo of your razorback tree if you can post one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your ideas. My husband is a Razorback fan. We live in Alabama, so I am an Alabama fan....house divided. I do however cheer for the Razorbacks, unless they are playing Alabama. I plan on doing a house divided tree this year & will definitely use some of your ideas. Thanks again!
    Amy from Alabama

    ReplyDelete

Arkansas Razorback Artwork

If you'd like to see some fantastic artwork by artists who love the Razorbacks, come to Fine Art America, here: arkansas razorbacks art