I am almost done with my wood-burned portrait I started yesterday. There was A LOT of trial-and-error with this one since I've never done it quite this way before! I didn't have quite the control with this wood burner that I do with a paint brush or charcoal, so the couple doesn't look as much like themselves. :( Bummer. It's still a resemblance of them...I hope. (I'll have to perfect the whole wood burning technique...).
After I burned the two faces into the wood yesterday, I tried mixing acrylic paint with a staining medium, so the wood grain and knots would still show through. As with any art project, it starts taking on a life of its own and never turns out exactly as planned. The stain wound up looking really washed out instead of being full of color.
So, today I mixed a high-gloss, heavy gel medium with more red paint and totally repainted it. I'm liking this much, much better. Now, I'm just waiting for the paint to dry to see if I'm almost finished. If so, I'll sign my name, then I'll have to paint the back of the wood, and apply ":CRAFTS ETC! Clear Acrylic High Gloss Sealer." I do believe this is going to work!